E-Z-Paste® Barium Sulfate Esophageal paste is a barium sulfate cream for oral administration. Each 100 g contains 60 g barium sulfate. Barium sulfate, due to its high molecular density, is opaque to x-rays and, therefore, acts as a positive contrast agent for radiographic studies. The active ingredient is barium sulfate, and its structural formula is BaSO4. Barium sulfate occurs as a fine, white, odourless, tasteless, bulky powder-free from grittiness. Its aqueous suspensions are neutral to litmus. It is practically insoluble in water, solutions of acids and alkalies, and organic solvents.
The Barium Sulphate radiopaque paste is suitable for both equine and human radiography.
For Equine – the EZ paste is suitable for testing the internal hoof walls due to the very thin depth of horn at the most proximal crown of the wall. As a result, the actual bone margin is never visible on even the softest penetrating views.
For Human – The paste appears as an opaque (white line) on your film applied in a continuous bead from the coronary band when taken.
- Contents of tube: 454 grams of paste
- Quick and easy to apply
- It can be wiped off easily with a paper towel moistened with alcohol
- It clearly defines all growth rings and abnormal curvatures along the face of the capsule
- It provides easy marker margins
- It provides accurate measurement of the horns lamellar thickness (H-L zone)